The following suggestions on praying for the lost come from a resource called Praying Your Friends to Christ (Alpharetta, GA: North American Mission Board, 1998) and can help give focus to praying for the lost we know:
• Ask God to open their spiritual eyes (2 Cor. 4:4).
• Ask God to set them free from spiritual captivity (2 Tim. 2:25–26).
• Ask God to give them ears to hear (Mt. 13:15), faith to believe (Acts 20:21), and will to respond (Rom. 10:9).
• Ask God to send people into their lives to witness to them (Mt. 9:38).
• Ask God for ways to build caring relationships (1 Cor. 9:22).
• Ask God for opportunities to witness (Col. 4:3).
• Ask God for boldness to witness (Acts 4:29).
• Ask God for an opportunity to invite them to a harvest event (Lk. 14:23).
Prayer can give us a yearning to share the gospel with others.
–Adapted from Chapter 63 of Giving Ourselves to Prayer (Prayer and Evangelism) by Alvin L. Reid
God of the Nations, please open the spiritual eyes of those who have been blinded by the enemy! Set them free from their captivity and give them ears to hear, faith to believe and the will to respond to Your message of grace! I trust You to fill me with boldness and opportunities to share Your gospel in whatever ways You have gifted me to do so!
Praise God, the Father of all. Thank him for allowing you to call him “Abba”—Daddy. Confess your fear of seeing him as Father. Commit to seeking this attribute of God. Ask God to eliminate any barriers which complicate your ability to experience “Abba” as comforting.
Ask God to reveal himself as a loving, welcoming Father to lost and lonely people you know.
–Prayer Points taken from Patterns for Prayer by Alvin VanderGriend
Giving Ourselves to Prayer: An Acts 6:4 Primer for Ministry is available at prayershop.org. Use the code CONPSP3 at checkout to receive an additional 10% discount on the book.
Connection is sponsored by PrayerConnect Magazine.
Click here to download a free issue.
Click here to subscribe to this valuable resource that will help you and your church connect to the heart of Christ through prayer!