“I have posted watchmen on your walls, O Jerusalem; they will never be silent day or night” (Isaiah 62:6a).
What do watchmen do?
- They are to watch and pray.
- They are to be on guard constantly and so provide protection. “Arise, cry out in the night, as the watches of the night begin” (Lamentations 2:19).
- They are to listen. Jeremiah 6:17 says, “I appointed watchmen over you and said, ‘Listen to the sound of the trumpet.’”
- They are to warn. “Son of man, I have made you a watchman for the house of Israel; so hear the word I speak and give them warning from me” (Ezekiel 3:17).
- They are to call on the Lord. “I have posted watchmen on your walls. . . . You who call on the Lord, give yourselves no rest” (Isaiah 62:6).
God has called His people to be watchmen. We are not to be passive observers or victims in the war against terror. We are to watch and pray.
O God, help me to watch and pray. Keep my eyes focused on You. Show me others I can pray with over the condition of our nation and the world. Give me insight into the spiritual battles that erupt into acts of terror and violence and lead me into Spirit-led times of intercession that release Your power into these situations.
–Adapted from Prayer and the End of Days (Praying God’s Purposes in Troubled Times) by David Butts. This resource is available at prayershop.org. Use the code CONPSP3 at checkout to receive an additional 10% discount on the book.
Give praise to the one who has created love, the one who is the very heart and nature of love (1 Jn. 4:16). Thank God for his love for you—a deeply personal love that will never let you go (Rom. 8:38-39). Confess those times when you have been unable to receive and return God’s love for you this past week. Commit yourself to meditating daily on God’s strong love for you. Ask him to fill you with the knowledge of his love, so that you may be filled with the fullness of God (Eph. 3:17-19).
Pray that your congregation will be so saturated and overwhelmed with a sense of God’s love that you will reach out to your neighborhood with a love that is unmistakably Christlike.
Visit our ministry Facebook Pages:
**The dollars you spend on our resources help Harvest Prayer Ministries to train churches to become houses of prayer for all nations! Visit our online PrayerShop! You will find many valuable resources on prayer to help you, your family and your church!