Our Lord is the “God who gives life to the dead and calls things that are not as though they were” (Romans 4:17b). Sometimes it is hard to imagine that our enemies could ever turn away from evil and come to Christ, but He has called us to pray for them. What seems impossible to us is possible with God (Mark 10:27). What greater love could there be than to pray for God to draw them into His kingdom? Here are some passages from Colossians that you can pray on their behalf:
- Pray that God will rescue them from the dominion of darkness and bring them “into the kingdom of the Son He [the Father] loves, in whom we have redemption, the forgiveness of sins” (Colossians 1:13-14).
- Pray God will make known to them His glorious riches through the mystery of Christ (Colossians 1:27). Pray that they may “know the mystery of God, namely Christ, in whom are hidden all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge” (Colossians 2:2-3).
- Pray that they will “put to death whatever belongs to [their] earthly nature: sexual immorality, impurity, lust, evil desires and greed, which is idolatry” (Colossians 3:5).
- Pray that they will rid themselves of “anger, rage, malice, slander, and filthy language from [their] lips” (Colossians 3:8).
- Pray that they will become one of God’s children, holy and dearly loved, clothed with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience (Colossians 3:12).
- Pray they will come to know and possess the love of the Lord (Colossians 3:14).
- Pray that they will come to know the peace of Christ and that it will rule in their hearts (Colossians 3:15).
Loving God, teach me to pray for my enemies, and show me how to love them as You do! Free them from darkness and draw them into Your light! Make Yourself known to them so that they will become Your precious children, clothed in holiness. Fill them with Your peace! Continue to use me as a conduit for Your love in their lives!
–Adapted from the article Loving People into God’s Kingdom through Prayer by Kim Butts, co-author of Pray Like the King: Lessons from the Prayers of Israel’s Kings; This book is available at prayershop.org. Use the code CONPSP3 at checkout to receive an additional 10% discount.
Give praise to God as the all-seeing one who knows the smallest detail of the future. Thank God for revealing some things to you about the future. Confess the ease with which you plan for the future without taking into account God’s knowledge of what will happen (Jas. 4:13-15). Commit yourself to bringing your plans to him daily, asking his insight and guidance. Ask God to begin preparing you now for the challenges that lie ahead.
Pray for young people who are concerned about their future—and the elderly who are facing the unknowns of death in their future. Ask God to reassure them of his presence with them always.
Connection is sponsored by Prayer Connect Magazine.
You may download a free issue of Prayer Connect Magazine here.
**The dollars you spend on our resources help Harvest Prayer Ministries to train churches to become houses of prayer for all nations! Visit our online PrayerShop! You will find over 500 resources on prayer to help you, your family and your church!
Photo Credit: To Stand As Righteous Women
Connection (Devotions for Everyday Life) © 2014 is published daily by Harvest Prayer Ministries.