See that no one repays another with evil for evil, but always seek after that which is good for one another and for all people. Rejoice always; pray without ceasing; in everything give thanks; for this is God’s will concerning you in Christ Jesus. Do not quench the Spirit; do no despise prophetic utterances. But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good; abstain from every form of evil. (1 Thessalonians 5:15-23, NASB)
The way the material is shaped, all of the above commands are modified by the phrase “for this is God’s will concerning you in Christ Jesus” (1 Thessalonians 5:18). This gives us clear direction for praying “Your will be done.” It is always God’s will to pray for these kingdom initiatives to succeed in your life, in the lives of others, and in your local church. To pray for the kingdom to come and the will to be done then includes at least the following:
- It is always God’s will to pray for a gracious nature that doesn’t return evil for evil.
- It is always God’s will to seek after good for another and for everyone (especially when you have been slighted or done an injustice).
- It is always God’s will to pray for and to practice joy.
- It is always God’s will to deepen your prayer life.
- It is always God’s will to give thanks.
- It is always God’s will to test out when someone claims to speak for God (you do not have to immediately accept every word spoken, but you do need to listen and to test him by Word, Witness, Workers, Worship, and the Will of the believer).
- It is always God’s will to cling to the things that Scripture makes clear are right and true.
- It is always God’s will to avoid or turn away from evil (and in this text to reject false prophecy/spirituality).
Father, I confess that I often struggle to know what Your good, pleasing and perfect will is. Yet, if I simply obey Your Word, I know that so much of my life will fall into place as You intend for it to be. Help me not to conform to the pattern of this world, but instead to be transformed by the renewing of my mind so that Your will can become clearer to me each day. (See Romans 12:2)
–Adapted from Power Praying (Hearing Jesus’ Spirit by Praying Jesus’ Prayer) by David Chotka. This resource is available at prayershop.org. Use the code CONPSP3 at checkout to receive an additional 10% discount on the book.
Praise God that you are his temple (1 Cor. 3:16). Thank God for the work he’s given you to build up Christ’s body, the church (Eph. 4:16). Confess those times you do not honor God with your body, as he has purchased you with the price of his blood (1 Cor. 6:19-20). Commit yourself to Jesus’ cleansing of your total being (Jn. 13:8-10). Ask God to reveal to you daily the mystery of his glorious riches (Col. 1:26-27).
Pray that your family and friends will not dwell on outward beauty but on the unfading beauty of the inner self, a gentle and quiet spirit (1 Pet. 3:3-4).
“Prayer enlarges the heart until it is capable of containing God’s gift of himself. Ask and seek, and your heart will grow big enough to receive him and keep him as your own.” —Mother Teresa
Harvest Prayer Ministries has a brand new website with many articles and prayer helps! You can also find multiple ways to help your church take steps toward become a house of prayer for all nations!
Please share Connection! with others who might be blessed by it!
**The dollars you spend on our resources help Harvest Prayer Ministries to train churches to become houses of prayer for all nations! Visit our online PrayerShop! You will find many valuable resources on prayer to help you, your family and your church!