“Be of sober spirit, be on the alert. Your adversary, the devil, prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour” (1 Peter 5:8).
There is a battle for the soul of our nation. Here are some Scriptures to press into as you intercede:
- Ask for great awareness and discernment as we pray over the election. “When you go into battle in your own land against an enemy who is oppressing you, sound a blast on the trumpets. Then you will be remembered by the LORD your God and rescued from your enemies.” (Num. 10:9).
- “Be very careful, then, how you live—not as unwise but as wise, making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil. Therefore do not be foolish, but understand what the Lord’s will is” ( 5:15–17).
- Pray for physical protection for all candidates and their families throughout this campaign season. “May the Lord answer you when you are in distress; may the name of the God of Jacob protect you” (Ps. 20:1).
- “Whoever dwells in the shelter of the Most High will rest in the shadow of the Almighty” (Ps. 91:1).
- Beseech the Lord for a strong hedge of protection around the nation itself during this time of decision. “May your unfailing love be with us, LORD, even as we put our hope in you” (Ps. 33:22).
–adapted from With One Cry: A Renewed Challenge to Pray for America by David Butts. This book is available at prayershop.org. Use the code CONPSP3 at checkout to receive an additional 10% discount.
Praise God for his compelling love (2 Cor. 5:14). Give thanks for that love that holds us as in a vice, never letting go (Jer. 31:3). Confess those times when you fight against God’s love, wanting to go your own way or seek glory for yourself instead of for him. Commit yourself to being comfortable in that “love grip” of God so that you willingly live for him, serving him gladly (Prov. 3:3-6). Ask God to give you a greater appreciation of his eternal blessings and to be glad with the joy of his presence (Ps. 21:6).
Pray that God’s compelling love may keep believers from fear and lead them on in the daily work of ministry “in Jerusalem, and Judea . . . and to the ends of the earth” (Joel 2:21-27; Acts 1:8).
Connection is sponsored by Prayer Connect Magazine.
You may download a free issue of Prayer Connect Magazine here.
**The dollars you spend on our resources help Harvest Prayer Ministries to train churches to become houses of prayer for all nations! Visit our online PrayerShop! You will find many valuable resources on prayer to help you, your family and your church!