Here are some informed ways to pray for the current federal, state and local candidates and for our leaders:
- Pray for the salvation of those who are in leadership of our nation. Ask the Lord to remove all envy and selfish ambition. “For where you have envy and selfish ambition, there you find disorder and every evil practice” (James 3:16).
- Pray that candidates will take brave stands for righteousness, even when it may not be well received.
- “Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand. Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist, with the breastplate of righteousness in place” (Eph. 6:13–14).
- “If you do not stand firm in your faith, you will not stand at all” (Isa. 7:9b).
- Pray that their families will be protected from harm and unnecessary scrutiny. “You, LORD, will keep the needy safe and will protect us forever from the wicked, who freely strut about when what is vile is honored by the human race” (Ps. 12:7–8).
- Ask the Lord to surround them with godly advisors. “The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom; all who follow his precepts have good understanding. To him belongs eternal praise” (Ps. 111:10).
- Pray that each candidate will focus on the issues we face as a nation—and not on personal attacks on other “If you bite and devour each other, watch out or you will be destroyed by each other” (Gal. 5:15).
–adapted from With One Cry: A Renewed Challenge to Pray for America by David Butts. This book is available at prayershop.org. Use the code CONPSP3 at checkout to receive an additional 10% discount.
Praise God as the one who again has supplied you with all you have needed this week. Thank him for putting some of his resources into your care. Confess any waste or mismanagement of those resources this week. Commit yourself to sharing with God’s people who are in need (Rom. 12:13). Ask God to bring to mind the name of someone with whom he would have you share by showing hospitality (12:13).
Pray that your children and those of your friends learn principles of Christian stewardship from an early age. Ask God to make you an excellent example for them.
Connection is sponsored by Prayer Connect Magazine.
You may download a free issue of Prayer Connect Magazine here.
**The dollars you spend on our resources help Harvest Prayer Ministries to train churches to become houses of prayer for all nations! Visit our online PrayerShop! You will find many valuable resources on prayer to help you, your family and your church!