Some people make prayer retreats a regular part of their schedules. Others take them “as needed.” If you have never taken one, or have been sporadic about taking time alone with God, here are signs that it’s time for a prayer retreat:
- You’re dry and out of touch with the Lord.
- You feel overwhelmed, overworked, stressed, or scattered.
- You feel mechanical in your devotion and service.
- You have an important decision to make.
- You have a sinful habit to overcome.
- You have a person or people you need to forgive.
- You need God’s perspective on a situation.
- You have a strategic ministry event or season ahead.
- You need insight about an unanswered prayer.
- You’re behind in intercession and others are depending on you.
- Your spouse, teenager, roommate, colleague or friend tells you that you need one.
Click here to give a tax-deductible gift to Harvest Prayer Ministries so that we can keep these devotions coming free of charge to all who wish to receive them. Choose “Connection Daily Devotions” in the drop down box. Thank you for prayerfully considering a gift!
Lord, sometimes I have such a need to spend a season with You and I struggle to give up my busyness to draw near. Show me how to develop the holy habit of retreat, and how to release the daily pressures of life into Your hands while I sit at Your feet and soak in Your presence.
–Adapted from Giving Ourselves to Prayer: An Acts 6:4 Primer for Ministry (Chapter 28, Personal Prayer Retreats by Cynthia Bezek). This book is available at prayershop.org. Use the code CONPSP3 at checkout to receive an additional 10% discount.
Praise God for his unsearchable riches in Christ, riches with which nothing can compare (Rom. 11:33-36; Eph. 3:8-12). Thank him for allowing you to share in these riches because of your relationship to Jesus Christ (Col. 2:2-3). Confess your failure to appreciate God’s riches and the many times you’ve looked to what the world calls riches for your happiness. Commit yourself to finding your security in Christ alone. Ask God to help you fully appreciate his riches in Jesus, giving him the glory.
Pray for opportunities to show God’s riches in Christ by some specific act of giving today (Lk. 12:21).
Connection is sponsored by Prayer Connect Magazine.
You may download a free issue of Prayer Connect Magazine here.
**The dollars you spend on our resources help Harvest Prayer Ministries to train churches to become houses of prayer for all nations! Visit our online PrayerShop! You will find many valuable resources on prayer to help you, your family and your church!