King David often began his prayers with tears, but finished them with celebration. He believed God was a faithful, promise-keeping God. He often thanked God in advance for what He was about to do! Celebration is sometimes a shout of victory; and sometimes a declaration of war. As long as we whine to God about our problems, we’ll see nothing. We celebrate the answer; then we see the answer!
- Praise preceded the fall of Jericho’s walls. (The shout preceded the falling of the walls.)
- Praise preceded Jehoshaphat’s victory. (The praise team preceded the army.)
- Praise preceded the feeding of the five thousand. (Jesus thanked the Father for feeding the people with a lad’s lunch.)
- Praise preceded the resurrection of Lazarus. (Jesus thanked the Father for hearing Him.)
- Praise preceded the earthquake and jailbreak in Philippi. (Paul and Silas celebrated.)
Lord, forgive me for failing to celebrate answered prayer, and for not expecting You to do great and mighty things in response to my intercession! Help me to purposefully give You praise as I seek Your face so that You will take pleasure in answering! Fill me with a large measure of faith to believe that You are always about to do something amazing in response to the prayers of Your people. Show me how to expect Your highest and best for the glory of Your Name!
–Adapted from Giving Ourselves to Prayer: An Acts 6:4 Primer for Ministry (Chapter 39, The Secret of Single-Minded Prayer by Eddie Smith). This book is available at prayershop.org. Use the code CONPSP3 at checkout to receive an additional 10% discount.
Praise God, the one who is your “refuge” and your “fortress” (Ps. 91:2). Thank him for taking care of you in every storm of life. Confess times when you’ve sought refuge in some thing or someone other than God. Commit yourself to placing all your trust in this powerful and loving God. Ask God to protect and defend you against Satan’s schemes.
Ask God to make your home a spiritual refuge from the temptations of this world. Pray that your children will find strength, peace, and security there. Pray for harmony among the members of your family.
Prayer Points taken from Patterns for Prayer by Alvin VanderGriend.